9.27.2010

Everyone Needs a Taco Night!

By Miranda

I went nearly two years without a taco night, and it was just plain unacceptable. One day, I decided I was going to find a way to create a taco that even an ICer could love and enjoy. I am happy to say, that day came last year, and has been re-lived many times since.

IC Friendly Tacos


My taco recipe is actually quite simple and completely safe for me. You might have to tailor it a little to your own specific needs, but I hope my recipe and meal plan can at least guide you to creating your own perfect taco.

Ingredients

1 package organic blue or yellow corn taco shells (I use 365 brand from Whole Foods, but Garden of Eatin' has good ones, too)

1 can organic refried black beans (you can also use regular black beans or regular refired beans, but check the ingredients because some brands add tomatoes)

1 package Goya Arroz Amarillo (yellow rice)

1 lb. organic ground chicken

Organic Valley mozzarella cheese

Organic sliced black olives

Adobo seasoning

Sea salt

Garlic pepper

Cumin

Baking soda

Yields 12 tacos

The Process

I start out by preparing the yellow rice, since it takes the longest. Now, yellow rice is not necessarily the safest food for IC, but I am able to tolerate this brand as long as I add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the mix after I boil the water and add the contents of the rice. Other than that, I simply follow the directions on the package and it is really delicious. The baking soda helps neutralize the acid in the seasoning, but it does not sacrifice the flavor at all! The rice takes about 25 minutes.

Once the rice is simmering, I get out all my other ingredients and open the black beans and put them in a bowl so I am ready to pop them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes once the rice and chicken is almost ready. By the time I do that, I am ready to wash off my ground chicken, sprinkle it with sea salt, and brown it in a small amount of olive oil over medium high heat.

Once the chicken is fully cooked and browned, I drain it, return it to the pan, and then add my "IC friendly taco seasoning"

IC Friendly Taco Seasoning

1 cup spring water

1 tbsp Adobo seasoning

1/2 tsp garlic pepper

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp cumin


I just mix the spices in with the water and then pour it over the chicken and let it cook on medium-high to high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.

At this point, I set my oven for 425ยบ and set the taco shells on a baking sheet. I also put my olives and mozzarella in containers and set the table.



At the 5 minute mark, I heat up the black beans and taco shells so that everything is ready at the same time. Then it's time to enjoy.

Viva taco night! (And don't forget your Prelief!)

No comments:

Post a Comment